Skip to main content

Black and White Topper Butterick 6466


I wanted to make something to wear over my black and white mini-wardrobe, and had purchased this interesting cotton jacquard when Fabric Mart had it for it's Deal of the Day at $2.99/yd last month.  The photo above is with the Closet Case Ebony t-shirt.  This fabric has an interesting texture in addition to the print. Here's a close-up:


It was BOLD with a capital B, and I wasn't quite how to use it.  My original need was for a jacket, but I thought that with that large of a print, it would be better as something longer, like a dress. So, it was between either a dress or a jacket, and I waffled one way and then the other for about a week, and then it hit me- how about a longer jacket that kind of looks like a dress?

Butterick 6466 seemed like a reasonable place to start!  I combined the views, and used the sleeves on the view with the asymmetrical hemline.   I like Connie Crawford's patterns a lot, and have just about every one of them.


Here it is with the Closet Case Charlie Caftan.  You can see it's just the same length which is perfect.   It was a windy day today, and we couldn't get a good shot of the back on me, so here it is on the dress form.  It's got a center back seam in the skirt, that I should have eliminated- could have easily gone on the fold and not disrupted the print there.



Since my fabric was all cotton, it was not easy to put on and take off.  So, I added a half lining- just the top and the sleeve portions. This made it much, much easier to put on and take off, and wasn't that hard- I just cut another bodice front and back, and cut away the facing piece, minus the seam allowances.



I ended up straightening out the side seams, so that they don't have that little fold near the hips.  This fabric wasn't drapey enough for it to be a good look.  Here you can see the hem dip down and the side seams.



One funny thing that happened, was that in my pre-washing of this piece of fabric, I washed it with another dark garment in cold water.  I had washed the other garment before, so didn't think that there was much chance of it bleeding.  But, when I pulled it out, all of the leaves were grey, not white!  I went to the store and bought Carbona Color Run Remover.


It was amazing! In less than 2 minutes, it took all the grey out, but left the black as black as ever.  I didn't even use 1/3 of the package.   Here is the topper with an all black column.


So, my cost on this topper was $6 for the fabric, $3 for the lining and pattern, and $1 for the Color Run Remover.  $10- not bad!   I like it with just about all of the items from my black and white mini wardrobe, so I should get my money's worth!

Happy Sewing!

Ann

Comments

  1. I think you chose the perfect jacket topper pattern for the fabric you were working with. It looks beautiful, and goes so well with your capsule items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa! I'm very excited for the weather to warm up so that I can wear it!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Karen! That means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.